Welcome to the Montana Geriatric Education Center, home of the Montana Geriatric Workforce Enhancement Program (MGWEP)
The Montana Geriatric Workforce Enhancement Program (MGWEP) is a collaboration between the Montana Geriatric Education Center at the University of Montana, Missoula, RiverStone Health in Billings, and Partnership Health Center in Missoula and is supported by partner organizations throughout the state.
MGWEP provides geriatric education and training to develop a health care workforce to improve health outcomes for older adults. Programming will be provided for patients, families, caregivers, direct care workers, health professionals, students, family medicine residents and faculty in a variety of settings.
Montana Geriatric Workforce Enhancement Initiatives
Initiative 1: Integration of Geriatrics into Primary Care
Geriatric training will aid in the development of geriatric programs and services in community health centers to improve health outcomes for Montana's older adults. Healthcare professionals and students will expand their skills in working with older adults. Patients, families and caregivers will be engaged and will gain confidence in managing the patients' conditions.
Initiative 2: Development of the Interprofessional Geriatric Workforce
MGWEP will provide training for an interprofessional geriatric workforce to meet the needs of older adults and their caregivers and ultimately to improve health outcomes. Given the broad needs of the healthcare workforce for training and geriatrics, MGWEP plans to use a variety of activities and approaches including:
- MTGEC Annual Conference
- Collaborations with Professional Conferences
- MTGEC Online Geriatric Health Issues Curriculum
- Dementia Online Training Program
- Interprofessional Geriatric Health Screening - IPHARM Program
- Project Geriatric ECHO with WYGWEP
- Northwest Geriatric Healthcare Series with NWGWEC
- Education Collaboration with Mountain Pacific Quality Health
- Geriatric Modules for Community Health Workers
Initiative 3: Education to Support Older Adults, Caregivers, and Communities
MGWEP will provide education and training for older adults, caregivers, and communities through partnerships and collaborations with local and state agencies in order to improve health outcomes and quality of care for older adults. Activities will include:
- Dementia Friendly Community Awards
- Alzheimer's Disease and Related Dementias Community Education
- Support for Powerful Tools for Caregivers Program
- Support for Chronic Pain Management and Opioid Misuse Programs
- Promotion of Age Friendly Health Systems for Indigenous Peoples