Physical Therapy Faculty/Staff Directory
Ryan L. Mizner
- Office: SB 104
- Phone: 406- 243-5183
- Fax: 406-243-2795
- Email: email@example.com
Ph.D. in Biomechanics and Movement Science, 2005. University of Delaware
M.P.T. Masters in Physical Therapy, 2000. University of Delaware
B.S. in Exercise Science: Biomechanics, 1998. Montana State University, Bozeman
PT 527 Physical and Electrophysiological Agents (Course Coordinator)
PT 529 Biomechanics (Course Coordinator and sole instructor)
PT 569 Orthopedic Physical Therapy I (Knee Unit and primary instructor)
PT 679 Trends and Scholarly Activities (Primary Instructor)
PT 529 Clincial Biomechanics
PT 569 Musculoskeletal Management II - knee unit
PT 527 Physical and Electrophysiological Agents
Clinical research including intervention based research in orthopaedic and sports practice
Advancement of evidence based practice and the science of physical therapy practice
Determining the extent, sources, and impact of skeletal muscle impairments in patients with knee disorders
Utilization and validation of functional outcome measures
Diagnostic and clinical use of electrical stimulation in physical therapy
Clinical biomechanics assessment including EMG & 3D kinetics and kinematics
Pilot Project Grant from the parent award: 1U54GM104944-01
Role: Co-Principal Investigator (PI: Mays RJ)
Awarding Institution: Sub-award from the University of New Mexico
National Institutes of Health (NIGMS) (PI: Langer R with UNM)
Title: Community-based walking exercise enhanced by orthoses to improve walking ability in patients with peripheral artery disease
Dates: 07/01/2014 - 6/30/2015
Aim: We will test the hypotheses that using carbon fiber ankle foot orthosis (AFO) with patients who have intermittent claudication from peripheral artery disease (PAD) will reduce barriers and improve the efficacy of community walking exercise.
New Investigator Grant
Role: Co-PI (PI: Elias ARC)
Awarding Institution: Orthopaedic Section of the American Physical Therapy Association
Title: A clinical trial to improve motor learning in plyometric training post-ACLR via a novel body-weight support system
Award Dates: 5/15/2014 – 5/14/2015
Aim: To determine if high volume jump training with reduced loading intensity will preferentially enhance motor learning for improved load attenuation compared to standard jump training.
Miami-Marquette Challenge Research Grant
Role: Principle Investigator
Awarding Institution: Foundation for Physical Therapy
Award Dates: 1/1/2014 – 12/31/2015
Title: A Novel Unweighting Technology to Address Psychological Impairments Limiting Outcomes after ACL Reconstruction
Aim: To determine if 8 weeks of training with the bodyweight reduction instrument to deliver graded exercise (BRIDGE) will reduce psychological impairments and restore knee loading performance in the ACLR knee more than standard jump training. Our long-term goal is to develop an effective treatment paradigm that will address the psychological factors that limit common retraining efforts designed to restore the force absorption capacity of the ACL reconstructed knee.
Cardon Rehabilitation Grant
Role: Co-Investigator (3% effort) (PI:Kinney AE)
Awarding Institution: American Academy of Orthopaedic Manual Physical Therapists (AAOMPT)
Title: The Relationship among Cervical Joint Mobility, Postural Sway and Cervical Spine Kinesthetic Awareness in Individuals Post-Concussion
Aim: The purpose of the proposed study is to examine the relationship of cervical spine joint mobility, cervical kinesthetic sense and postural sway in individuals who report being asymptomatic based on neurocognitive signs and symptoms post-concussion.
Field of Study
Clinical Scientist within Musculoskeletal Practice Pattern
Orthopedic and Sports Rehabilitation
1. Mizner RL, Mahlum BT, Kokes JL, Gollehon CC, Dewitz ML. Psychological factors uniquely relate to hop performance in active patients with anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Physical Therapy Journal. Manuscript in review 2015.
2. Elias ARC, Hammill CD, Mizner RL. The Effect of Body Weight Support on Kinetics and Kinematics of a Repetitive Plyometric Task. Journal of Applied Biomechanics, In Review 2015
3. Davidson BS, Judd DL, Mizner RL, Stevens-Lapsley JE. A comparison of EMG normalization in patients with muscle activation deficits. Journal of Applied Biomechanics. In Review 2015.
4. Elias ARC, Hammill CD, Mizner RL. Changes in Quadriceps and Hamstring Co-contraction Following Landing Instruction in Patients with ACL Reconstruction. Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy. 2015 Apr;45(4):273-280. PMID: 25679342.
5. Jones D, Tillman SM, Tofte K, Mizner RL, Greenberg S, Chmielewski TL. Observational ratings of medial knee position discriminate frontal plane projection angle but not knee abduction angle. Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy. 2014 Dec;44(12):973-8. PMID: 25366084.
6. Davidson BS, Judd DL, Thomas AC, Mizner RL, Eckhoff DG, Stevens-Lapsley JE. Muscle activation and coactivation during five-time-sit-to-stand movement in patients undergoing total knee arthroplasty. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology (J Electromyogr Kinesiol). 2013 Dec;20(12):426-431. PMID: 23352711.
7. Yoshida Y, Mizner RL, Snyder-Mackler L. Association between long-term quadriceps weakness and early walking muscle co-contraction after total knee arthroplasty. Knee. 2013 Dec;20(12):426-431. PMID: 23352711.
8. Anton D, Mizner RL, Hess JA. The Effect of Lift Teams on Kinematics and Muscle Activity of the Upper Extremity and Trunk. Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy. 2013 Apr;43(4):232-241. PMID: 23321695.
9. Hess JA, Mizner RL, Kincl L, Anton D. Alternatives to lifting concrete masonry block over rebar: Biomechanical and perceptual evaluations. Ergonomics (Ergonomics). 2012 Oct;55(10):1229-42. PMID: 22849706.
10. Mizner RL, Chmielewski TC, Toepke JJ, Tofte KB. Efficacy of Digital Video Techniques during a Drop Jump Compared to Three-Dimensional Knee Kinematics and Kinetics of Female Athletes. Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine. 2012 May;22(3):221-7. PMID:22544058.
11. Mizner RL. Emerging Perspectives Related to Quadriceps Central Activation Deficits in Patients with Total Knee Arthroplasty. Exerc Sport Sci Rev. 2012 Apr;40(2):61-62. PMID:22441557.
12. Mizner RL, Petterson SC, Clements KE, Zeni JA, Irrgang JJ, Snyder-Mackler L. Measuring Functional Improvement after Total Knee Arthroplasty Requires both Performance-based and Self-Report Assessments: A Longitudinal Analysis of Outcomes. J Arthroplasty. 2011 Aug;26(5):728-37. Epub 2010 Sep 20. PMID:20851566
13. Harty CM, DuPont CE, Chmielewski TL, Mizner RL. Inter-task Comparison of Frontal Plane Knee Position and Moment in Female Athletes during Three Distinct Movement Tasks. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports. Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2011 Feb;21(1):98-105. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0838.2009.01022.x. PMID: 19895386
14. Stevens-Lapsley JE, Petterson SC, Mizner RL, Snyder-Mackler L. Impact of Body Mass Index on Functional Performance Measures after Total Knee Arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 2010 Oct;25(7):1104-9. Epub 2009 Oct 30. PMID: 1987972.
15. Mizner RL. Invited Commentary - Quantifying Self-Report Measures' Overestimation of Mobility Scores Postarthroplasty. Phys Ther. 2010 Sep;90(9):1296-8. PMID:20810390
16. LaPier TK, Mizner R. Outcome Measures in Cardiopulmonary Physical Therapy: Focus on the Late Life Function and Disability Instrument (LLFDI). Cardiopulm Phys Ther Journal. 2009 June; 20(2): 32-35.
17. Meier WA, Marcus RL, Dibble LE, Foreman KB, Peters CL, Mizner RL, LaStayo PC. The Long-Term Contribution of Muscle Activation and Muscle Size to Quadriceps Weakness Following Total Knee Arthroplasty. J Geriatr Phys Ther. 2009 June 32(2): 35-38.
18. LaStayo PC, Meier WA, Marcus RL, Mizner RL, Dibble LE, Peters C. Reversing Muscle and Mobility Deficits 1 to 4 Years after TKA: A Pilot Study. Symposium: Advanced Techniques for Rehabilitation after Total Hip and Knee Arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2009 June; 467:1493–1500.
19. Petterson SC, Mizner RL, Stevens JE, Raisis L, Bodenstab A, Newcomb W, Snyder-Mackler L. Improved Function From Progressive Strengthening Interventions After Total Knee Arthroplasty: A Randomized Clinical Trial With an Imbedded Prospective Cohort. Arthritis and Rheumatism (Arthritis Care and Research). 2009 Feb:61(2):174-183.
20. Stevens NM, Shutlz T, Mizner RL, Gersh MR. Treatment in an Outpatient Setting for a Patient with an Infected, Surgical Wound with Hypergranulation Tissue. International Journal of Lower Extremity Wounds (Int J Low Extrem Wounds). 2009 Mar;8(1):37-44.
21. Mizner RL, Kawaguchi JK, Chmielewski TL. Lower Extremity Kinetic Chain Muscle Strength Does Not Predict Post-Instruction Landing Pattern Improvement in Female Athletes. Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy. 2008 June; 38(6): 265-271.
22. Meier W, Mizner RL, Marcus RL, Dibble LE, Peters C, LaStayo PC. Total Knee Arthroplasty: Muscle Impairments, Functional Limitations and Recommended Rehabilitation Approaches. Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy. 2008 May;38(5):246-56.
23. Yoshida Y, Mizner RL, Ramsey D, Snyder-Mackler L. Examining Outcomes From Total Knee Arthroplasty and the Relationship Between Quadriceps Strength and Knee Function Over Time. Clinical Biomechanics (Bristol, Avon). 2008 Mar;23(3):320-8.
24. Mizner RL, Snyder-Mackler L. Altered Loading During Walking and Sit-to-stand is Affected by Quadriceps Weakness after Total Knee Arthroplasty. Journal of Orthopaedic Research. 2005 Sep;23(5):1083-90
25. Mizner RL, Petterson SC, Stevens JE, Axe MJ, Snyder-Mackler L. Preoperative Quadriceps Strength Predicts Functional Ability One Year after Total Knee Arthroplasty. Journal of Rheumatology. 32 (8): 1533-9. Aug 2005. Indexed in the “Yearbook of Rheumatology, Arthritis & Musculoskeletal Disease”
26. Mizner RL, Petterson SC, Snyder-Mackler L. Quadriceps Strength and the Time Course of Functional Recovery after Total Knee Arthroplasty. Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy. 35:424-436, July 2005.
27. Mizner RL, Petterson SC, Stevens JE, Vandenborne K, Snyder-Mackler L. Early Quadriceps Strength Loss After Total Knee Arthroplasty: The Contributions of Muscle Atrophy and Failure of Voluntary Muscle Activation. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (Am). 87; 5:1047-53, May 2005
28. Stevens JE, Mizner RL, Snyder-Mackler L. Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation for Quadriceps Muscle Strengthening after Bilateral Total Knee Arthroplasty. A Case Series. Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy. 34; 1; 21-9; Jan 2004.
29. Stevens JE, Mizner RL, Snyder-Mackler L. Quadriceps strength and volitional activation before and after total knee arthroplasty for osteoarthritis. Journal of Orthopaedic Research. 21; 5; 775-779; 2003.
30. Mizner RL, Stevens JE, Snyder-Mackler L. Voluntary Activation and Decreased Force Production of the Quadriceps Femoris Muscle after Total Knee Arthroplasty. Physical Therapy. 81; 4; 156-86; April 2003.
National & Interntional Presentations in the Past Several Year
1. Elias ARC, Mizner RL. High Volume Jump Training Coupled with Body Weight Support in a Patient with Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction. Combined Sections Meeting of the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA). Poster Presentation in the Orthopaedics Section. Indianapolis, IN. Feb 2015.
2. Elias ARC, Mizner RL. Associating clinical and biomechanical measures of single leg performance after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Combined Sections Meeting of the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA). Poster Presentation in Research Section. Indianapolis, IN. Feb 2015.
3. Ketterling LM, Mizner RL. Impact of Thigh Muscle Recruitment on Limb Loading during Jump Landing after Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction. Combined Sections Meeting of the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA). Poster Presentation in Sports Section. Indianapolis, IN. Feb 2015.
4. Mizner RL, Chmielewski TL. Mechanical & Psychological Factors in ACL Reconstruction Rehabilitation. Session Proposal. Combined Sections Meeting of the American Physical Therapy Association. Indianapolis, IN. Feb 2015. Featured Presentation with the Research Section of the APTA.
5. Stackhouse SK, Craik R, Rudolph K, Wagner J, Mizner RL, Lemley K, Cleland J. Setting yourself up for success at intuitions without an established research culture. Session Proposal for the Early Career Development Special Interest Group in the Research Section. Combined Sections Meeting of the American Physical Therapy Association. Indianapolis, IN. Feb 2015.
6. Elias ARC, Hammill CD, Mizner RL. A New Direction in Plyometrics: The Effect of Unweighting on Performance of Box Jumps. Combined Sections Meeting of the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA). Poster Presentation in the Orthopaedics Section. Las Vegas, NV. Feb 2014. JOSPT Jan 44(1).Supplement.
7. Lubbers A, Hawbaker M, Pattison K, Hammill CD, Mizner RL. Acute Effects of a Novel Body Weight Support System on Lower Extremity Landing Kinetics and Kinematics. Combined Sections Meeting of the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA). Poster Presentation in the Orthopaedics Section. Las Vegas, NV. Feb 2014. JOSPT Jan 44(1).Supplement.
8. Butler RJ, Mizner RL. Post-operative Considerations in Total Joint Arthroplasty: Post-Operative Physical Therapy. Oral Presentation. 3rd Annual Orthopedic Team Member Course entitled, "Integrated in the Management of Hip and Knee Patients". Sponsored by the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons (AAHKS). November 8th, 2013. Dallas, Texas.
9. Elias ARC, Hammill CD, Mizner RL. Adaptation of Quadriceps and Hamstring Co-contraction Following Landing Instruction in Patients with ACL Reconstruction. 60th Annual Meeting of the American College of Sports Medicine and 4th World Congress on Exercise is Medicine in Indianapolis, IN 2013. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2013 May;45(5 Suppl).
10. Hammill CD, Elias ARC, Mizner RL. Neuromuscular Maladaptations During Single Leg Landing in Patients with Unilateral ACL Reconstruction. 60th Annual Meeting of the American College of Sports Medicine and 4th World Congress on Exercise is Medicine in Indianapolis, IN 2013. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2013 May;45(5 Suppl).
11. Davidson BS, Judd DL, Thomas AC, Mizner RL, Eckhoﬀ DG, Stevens-Lapsley JE. Change in Hamstring Activation During Stand-To-Sit Movement Following Total Knee Arthroplasty. 60th Annual Meeting of the American College of Sports Medicine and 4th World Congress on Exercise is Medicine in Indianapolis, IN 2013. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2013 May;45(5 Suppl).
Staff and Per Diem Physical Therapist
Deer Lodge Medical Center & Nora Staael Evert Physical Therapy Clinic UMPT
Honors / Awards
2013 Faculty Merit Award, University of Montana, Missoula
2009 Margaret L. Moore Outstanding New Academic Faculty Award, APTA
2009 Outstanding Faculty Merit Award for Scholarship, Eastern Washington University
2007 Quality Service Initiative - Excellence in Quality Service Award, Eastern Washington Univeristy
2005 Finalist for the New Investigator Recognition Award, Orthopaedic Research Society
I enjoy spending time with my family in our garden, hiking, playing golf, hunting, going to community events, skiing, watching movies, and catching up with friends at meetings.