Physical Therapy Faculty/Staff Directory
Ryan L. Mizner
- Office: SB 104
- Phone: 406- 243-5183
- Fax: 406-243-2795
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: http://health.umt.edu/physicaltherapy/Contact%20Us/faculty%20and%20staff.php?ID=1535
Ph.D. in Biomechanics and Movement Science, 2005. University of Delaware
M.P.T. Masters in Physical Therapy, 2000. University of Delaware
B.S. in Exercise Science: Biomechanics, 1998. Montana State University, Bozeman
PT 527 Physical and Electrophysiological Agents (Course Coordinator instructor of electro portion)
PT 529 Biomechanics (Course Coordinator and sole instructor)
PT 569 Orthopedic Physical Therapy I (Knee Unit instructor)
PT 679 Trends and Scholarly Activities (Primary Instructor fo multiple sections)
PT 676 Clinical Reaosoning III (Instructor of small group of 4-5 students)
Faculty Positions and Teaching assistships
University of Delaware
Eastern Washington University
University of Montana
Clinical research including intervention based clinical trials and cohort studies
Advancement of evidence based practice and the science of physical therapy practice
Determining the extent, sources, and impact of neuromuscular impairments in patients with knee disorders
Utilization and validation of outcome measures for enhanced clinical reasoning
Diagnostic and clinical use of electrical stimulation in physical therapy
Applied biomechanics assessment including EMG & 3D kinetics and kinematics
Pilot Project Grant from the parent award: 1U54GM104944-01
Role: Co-Principal Investigator (PI: Mays RJ)
Awarding Institution: Sub-award from the University of New Mexico
National Institutes of Health (NIGMS) (PI: Housed at University of New Mexico)
Title: Community-based walking exercise enhanced by orthoses to improve walking ability in patients with peripheral artery disease
Dates: 07/01/2014 - 6/30/2015
Aim: We will test the hypotheses that using carbon fiber ankle foot orthosis (AFO) with patients who have intermittent claudication from peripheral artery disease (PAD) will reduce barriers and improve the efficacy of community walking exercise.
New Investigator Grant
Role: Co-PI (PI: Elias ARC)
Awarding Institution: Orthopaedic Section of the American Physical Therapy Association
Title: A clinical trial to improve motor learning in plyometric training post-ACLR via a novel body-weight support system
Award Dates: 5/15/2014 – 5/14/2015
Aim: To determine if high volume jump training with reduced loading intensity will preferentially enhance motor learning for improved load attenuation compared to standard jump training.
Miami-Marquette Challenge Research Grant
Role: Principle Investigator
Awarding Institution: Foundation for Physical Therapy
Award Dates: 1/1/2014 – 12/31/2015
Title: A Novel Unweighting Technology to Address Psychological Impairments Limiting Outcomes after ACL Reconstruction
Aim: To determine if 8 weeks of training with the bodyweight reduction instrument to deliver graded exercise (BRIDGE) will reduce psychological impairments and restore knee loading performance in the ACLR knee more than standard jump training. Our long-term goal is to develop an effective treatment paradigm that will address the psychological factors that limit common retraining efforts designed to restore the force absorption capacity of the ACL reconstructed knee.
Cardon Rehabilitation Grant
Role: Co-Investigator (3% effort) (PI:Kinney AE)
Awarding Institution: American Academy of Orthopaedic Manual Physical Therapists (AAOMPT)
Title: The Relationship among Cervical Joint Mobility, Postural Sway and Cervical Spine Kinesthetic Awareness in Individuals Post-Concussion
Aim: The purpose of the proposed study is to examine the relationship of cervical spine joint mobility, cervical kinesthetic sense and postural sway in individuals who report being asymptomatic based on neurocognitive signs and symptoms post-concussion.
Mini-Grant from the parent award: 1U54GM104944-01
Role: Co-Principal Investigator (PI: Mays RJ)
Awarding Institution: Sub-award from the University of New Mexico
National Institutes of Health (NIGMS) (PI: Langer R with UNM)
Title: Community-based walking exercise enhanced by orthoses to improve walking ability.
Dates: 12/31/2015 - 6/30/2016
Field of Study
Clinical Scientist within the Orthopaedics and Sports Primarily
Orthopedic and Sports Rehabilitation
- Mizner RL,et al Psychological factors uniquely relate to hop performance in active patients with anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.
- Elias AR, Harris K, LaStayo PC, Mizner RL. Clinical Efficacy of Jump Training Augmented with Body Weight Support Following ACL Reconstruction: A Randomized Pragmatic Trial. American Journal of Sports Medicine. In review May 2017.
- Christensen JC, LaStayo PC, Marcus RL, Stoddard GJ, Foreman KB, Mizner RL, Peters CL, Pelt CE. Novel Biofeedback Technique Normalizes Gait Abnormalities During High-Demand Mobility After Total Knee Arthroplasty. The Knee. In review. Aug 2017.
- Christensen JC, Foreman KB, LaStayo PC, Marcus RL, Pelt CE, Mizner RL. Comparison of Two Modes of Biofeedback in Correcting Joint Mechanical Asymmetry Following Total Knee Arthroplasty During a High-Demand Mobility Task. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. In review, May 2017.
- Christensen JC, Mizner RL, Foreman BK, Marcus RL, Pelt CE, LaStayo PC. Quadriceps Weakness Preferentially Predicts Detrimental Gait Compensations Amongst Common Impairments After Total Knee Arthroplasty. J Orthop Res. In review June 2017.
- Christensen JC, LaStayo PC, Mizner RL, Marcus RL, Pelt CE, Stoddard GJ, Foreman KB. Joint Mechanical Asymmetries During Low- and High-Demand Mobility Tasks: Comparison Between Total Knee Arthroplasty and Healthy-Matched Peers. Gait Posture. 2017 Nov 21;60:104-110. doi: 10.1016/j.gaitpost.2017.11.017. PMID 29175639.
- Elias ARC, Hammill CD, Mizner RL. The Effect of Body Weight Support on Kinetics and Kinematics of a Repetitive Plyometric Task.J Applied Biomech. 2016 Feb;32(1):69-77. PMID: 26398961
- Elias ARC, Kinney AE, Mizner RL. High Repetition Jump Training Coupled with Body Weight Support in a Patient with Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction: A Case Report. International Journal of Sport Physical Therapy (IJSPT). 2015 Dec;10(7):1035-49. PMID:26672476.
- Elias ARC, Hammill CD, Mizner RL. Changes in Quadriceps and Hamstring Co-contraction Following Landing Instruction in Patients with ACL Reconstruction. Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy. 2015 Apr;45(4):273-280. PMID: 25679342.
- Jones D, Tillman SM, Tofte K, Mizner RL, Greenberg S, Chmielewski TL. Observational ratings of medial knee position discriminate frontal plane projection angle but not knee abduction angle. Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy. 2014 Dec;44(12):973-8. PMID: 25366084.
- Davidson BS, Judd DL, Thomas AC, Mizner RL, Eckhoff DG, Stevens-Lapsley JE. Muscle activation and coactivation during five-time-sit-to-stand movement in patients undergoing total knee arthroplasty. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology (J Electromyogr Kinesiol). 2013 Dec;20(12):426-431. PMID: 23352711.
- Yoshida Y, Mizner RL, Snyder-Mackler L. Association between long-term quadriceps weakness and early walking muscle co-contraction after total knee arthroplasty. Knee. 2013 Dec;20(12):426-431. PMID: 23352711.
- Anton D, Mizner RL, Hess JA. The Effect of Lift Teams on Kinematics and Muscle Activity of the Upper Extremity and Trunk. Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy. 2013 Apr;43(4):232-241. PMID: 23321695.
- Hess JA, Mizner RL, Kincl L, Anton D. Alternatives to lifting concrete masonry block over rebar: Biomechanical and perceptual evaluations. Ergonomics (Ergonomics). 2012 Oct;55(10):1229-42. PMID: 22849706.
- Mizner RL, Chmielewski TC, Toepke JJ, Tofte KB. Efficacy of Digital Video Techniques during a Drop Jump Compared to Three-Dimensional Knee Kinematics and Kinetics of Female Athletes. Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine. 2012 May;22(3):221-7. PMID:22544058.
- Mizner RL. Emerging Perspectives Related to Quadriceps Central Activation Deficits in Patients with Total Knee Arthroplasty. Exerc Sport Sci Rev. 2012 Apr;40(2):61-62. PMID:22441557.
- Mizner RL, Petterson SC, Clements KE, Zeni JA, Irrgang JJ, Snyder-Mackler L. Measuring Functional Improvement after Total Knee Arthroplasty Requires both Performance-based and Self-Report Assessments: A Longitudinal Analysis of Outcomes. J Arthroplasty. 2011 Aug;26(5):728-37. Epub 2010 Sep 20. PMID:20851566
- Harty CM, DuPont CE, Chmielewski TL, Mizner RL. Inter-task Comparison of Frontal Plane Knee Position and Moment in Female Athletes during Three Distinct Movement Tasks. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports. Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2011 Feb;21(1):98-105. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0838.2009.01022.x. PMID: 19895386
- Stevens-Lapsley JE, Petterson SC, Mizner RL, Snyder-Mackler L. Impact of Body Mass Index on Functional Performance Measures after Total Knee Arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 2010 Oct;25(7):1104-9. Epub 2009 Oct 30. PMID: 1987972.
- Mizner RL. Invited Commentary - Quantifying Self-Report Measures' Overestimation of Mobility Scores Postarthroplasty. Phys Ther. 2010 Sep;90(9):1296-8. PMID:20810390
- LaPier TK, Mizner R. Outcome Measures in Cardiopulmonary Physical Therapy: Focus on the Late Life Function and Disability Instrument (LLFDI). Cardiopulm Phys Ther Journal. 2009 June; 20(2): 32-35.
- Meier WA, Marcus RL, Dibble LE, Foreman KB, Peters CL, Mizner RL, LaStayo PC. The Long-Term Contribution of Muscle Activation and Muscle Size to Quadriceps Weakness Following Total Knee Arthroplasty. J Geriatr Phys Ther. 2009 June 32(2): 35-38.
- LaStayo PC, Meier WA, Marcus RL, Mizner RL, Dibble LE, Peters C. Reversing Muscle and Mobility Deficits 1 to 4 Years after TKA: A Pilot Study. Symposium: Advanced Techniques for Rehabilitation after Total Hip and Knee Arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2009 June; 467:1493–1500.
- Petterson SC, Mizner RL, Stevens JE, Raisis L, Bodenstab A, Newcomb W, Snyder-Mackler L. Improved Function From Progressive Strengthening Interventions After Total Knee Arthroplasty: A Randomized Clinical Trial With an Imbedded Prospective Cohort. Arthritis and Rheumatism (Arthritis Care and Research). 2009 Feb:61(2):174-183.
- Stevens NM, Shutlz T, Mizner RL, Gersh MR. Treatment in an Outpatient Setting for a Patient with an Infected, Surgical Wound with Hypergranulation Tissue. International Journal of Lower Extremity Wounds (Int J Low Extrem Wounds). 2009 Mar;8(1):37-44.
- Mizner RL, Kawaguchi JK, Chmielewski TL. Lower Extremity Kinetic Chain Muscle Strength Does Not Predict Post-Instruction Landing Pattern Improvement in Female Athletes. Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy. 2008 June; 38(6): 265-271.
- Meier W, Mizner RL, Marcus RL, Dibble LE, Peters C, LaStayo PC. Total Knee Arthroplasty: Muscle Impairments, Functional Limitations and Recommended Rehabilitation Approaches. Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy. 2008 May;38(5):246-56.
- Yoshida Y, Mizner RL, Ramsey D, Snyder-Mackler L. Examining Outcomes From Total Knee Arthroplasty and the Relationship Between Quadriceps Strength and Knee Function Over Time. Clinical Biomechanics (Bristol, Avon). 2008 Mar;23(3):320-8.
- Mizner RL, Snyder-Mackler L. Altered Loading During Walking and Sit-to-stand is Affected by Quadriceps Weakness after Total Knee Arthroplasty. Journal of Orthopaedic Research. 2005 Sep;23(5):1083-90
- Mizner RL, Petterson SC, Stevens JE, Axe MJ, Snyder-Mackler L. Preoperative Quadriceps Strength Predicts Functional Ability One Year after Total Knee Arthroplasty. Journal of Rheumatology. 32 (8): 1533-9. Aug 2005. Indexed in the “Yearbook of Rheumatology, Arthritis & Musculoskeletal Disease”
- Mizner RL, Petterson SC, Snyder-Mackler L. Quadriceps Strength and the Time Course of Functional Recovery after Total Knee Arthroplasty. Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy. 35:424-436, July 2005.
- Mizner RL, Petterson SC, Stevens JE, Vandenborne K, Snyder-Mackler L. Early Quadriceps Strength Loss After Total Knee Arthroplasty: The Contributions of Muscle Atrophy and Failure of Voluntary Muscle Activation. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (Am). 87; 5:1047-53, May 2005
- Stevens JE, Mizner RL, Snyder-Mackler L. Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation for Quadriceps Muscle Strengthening after Bilateral Total Knee Arthroplasty. A Case Series. Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy. 34; 1; 21-9; Jan 2004.
- Stevens JE, Mizner RL, Snyder-Mackler L. Quadriceps strength and volitional activation before and after total knee arthroplasty for osteoarthritis. Journal of Orthopaedic Research. 21; 5; 775-779; 2003.
- Mizner RL, Stevens JE, Snyder-Mackler L. Voluntary Activation and Decreased Force Production of the Quadriceps Femoris Muscle after Total Knee Arthroplasty. Physical Therapy. 81; 4; 156-86; April 2003.
Select National & Interntional Presentations in the Past Several Years from over 85 peer-reviewed presentations
- Crippen TJ, Reiner HR, Quinoñes FJ, Mizner RL. Impairments Distal to the Hip are Associated with Peak Hip Adduction during Single Leg Landings after ACL Reconstruction. Submitted for Platform Session in the Sports Section of the APTA for CSM 2018. New Orleans, LA. In review.
- Brooks JL, Elias AR, Mizner RL, Mischke JJ. Effects of Neuromuscular Re-education with Jump Training in Female Athlete with Increased Lower Extremity Risk for Injury. CSM sports section submission for 2018. Submitted for Poster Session in the Sports Section of the APTA for CSM 2018. New Orleans, LA. In review.
- Mischke JJ, Matthew K, Mizner RL. The Successful Management of Persistent Mid-Portion Achilles Tendinopathy using Sural Nerve Mobilizations and a Heavy-Slow Resistance Program in a Collegiate Softball Player. Submitted for Poster Presentation in the Sports Section of the Combined Sections Meeting of the American Physical Therapy Association at New Orleans, LA. In review.
- Choma EA, Mays RJ, Mizner RL, Santasier AM. Patients’ Perspectives Regarding Ankle-Foot Orthoses to Improve Walking Mobility for People with Peripheral Artery Disease. Submitted for a Poster presentation in the Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Section for the Combined Sections Meeting of the APTA in New Orleans, LA 2018.
- Dettman DL, Johnson AR, Mischke JJ, Mizner RL. Task Demands and Biomechanical Analysis of Performance during the Single Leg Hop for Distance Test after ACL Reconstruction. Submitted for Poster presentation in the Sports Section for the Combined Sections Meeting (CSM) of the American Physical Therapy Association in New Orleans, LA 2018.
- Mizner RL, Mays AA, Mays RJ. Mechanical adaptations in walking performance using ankle-foot orthoses for patients with peripheral artery disease. 64th Annual Meeting of the American College of Sports Medicine and 8th World Congress on Exercise is Medicine in Denver, CO, IN 2017. Published in Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2017;49(5S):588.
- Christensen JC, LaStayo PL, Foreman KB, Mizner RL, Marcus RL, Gililland JM, Peters CL, Pelt CE. Biofeedback Improves Joint Mechanic Symmetry During High-Demand Mobility After Total Knee Arthroplasty. Poster presentation at the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) for their 2017 Annual Meeting in San Diego, CA. To be published in the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery American version in 2017.
- Elias ARC, Harris KJ, LaStayo PC, Mizner RL. Clinical Effectiveness of Jump Training Augmented with Body Weight Support Following ACL Reconstruction. Submitted to the APTA Combined Sections Meeting in San Antonio, TX. Feb 2017. Accepted for a Platform Session. Will be published in JOSPT in Jan 2017.
- K Foreman, Christensen JC, Mizner RL, Marcus RL, Pelt C, LaStayo PL. Decline walking reveals pronounced deficits in physical performance of patients compared to over-ground walking after total knee arthroplasty. Accepted to the APTA Combined Sections Meeting in San Antonio, TX. Feb 2017. Accepted for a Platform Session in the Orthopaedic Section. Will be published in JOSPT in Jan 2017.
- Ostertag SA, Mizner RL. Modified Locomotor Training Protocol Improves Gait Using a Novel Body Weight Support System and Orthoses. Accepted as a Poster Presentation to the Combined Sections Meeting of the APTA. San Antonio Tx, Feb 2017, Neurology Section. To be published in Journal of Neurological Physical Therapy (JNPT).
- Christensen JC, Foreman K, Marcus RL, Mizner RL, Pelt C, LaStayo PL. Novel biofeedback technique normalizes gait abnormalities during decline walking after total knee arthroplasty. Poster Session in the Orthopaedics Section at the APTA Combined Sections Meeting in San Antonio, TX. Feb 2017. Published in JOSPT in Feb 2017.
- Christensen JC, Lastayo PC, Marcus RL, Mizner RL, Pelt CE, Foreman K. Real-time biofeedback of knee kinetics corrects pronounced joint mechanic asymmetry during both low- and high-demand walking tasks following total knee arthroplasty. Presented as a Platform presentation in the Marilyn Gossman Graduate Student Special session in the Section of Research at the APTA Combined Sections Meeting in San Antonio, TX. Feb 2017.
- Kinney AE, Richmond SE, Mizner RL. Persistent deficits in cervical spine mobility and joint position error postconcussion: A case for cervical spine screening despite near resolution of neurocognitive symptoms. Submitted to Annual AAOMPT meeting Oct 2016.
- Mays RJ, Mays AA, Mizner RL. Efficacy of Ankle-Foot Orthoses on Walking Ability in Peripheral Artery Disease: The AFO for PAD Trial I. Society Vascular Medicine (SVM) 27th Annual Scientific Sessions. June 2016. Long Beach, Ca. Poster Presentation. Published in the VASCULAR MEDICINE, 21(3) Pages: 297-297 Meeting Abstract: 7 Published: JUN 2016.
- Christensen JC, Foreman KB, Mizner RL, Marcus RL, Pelt CE, Lastayo PC. Real-Time Biofeedback Using Knee Kinetics on Lower Extremity Mechanics During Decline Treadmill Walking Following Total Knee Arthroplasty. 2016 Gait and Clinical Movement Analysis Society’s Annual Conference. May 17 - 20, 2016 in Memphis, TN..
- Christensen JC, Lastayo PC, Mizner RL, Marcus RL, Pelt CE, Foreman KB. Preliminary Efficacy of a Superior Method of Biofeedback to Improve Limb Loading Symmetry During Decline Walking Following Total Knee Arthroplasty. 2016 Gait and Clinical Movement Analysis Society’s Annual Conference. May 17 - 20, 2016 in Memphis, TN.
- Mizner RL, Elias ARC. Differential Influence of Knee Pain with Activity on Patient-Reported Versus Performance-Based Long-Term Outcomes after Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction. Combined Sections Meeting of the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA). Poster in the Orthopaedics Section. Anaheim, CA. Februrary 2016. JOSPT; Jan 46(1):A118.
- Elias ARC, Mizner RL. Mechanical and Neuromuscular Changes with Jump Training Following ACL Reconstruction. Combined Sections Meeting of the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA). Platform presentation in the Orthopaedics Section. Anaheim, CA Feb 2016. Published in JOSPT 2016. Jan 46(1);A9.
- Mizner RL. The Value of Biomechanical Data to Enhance Clinical Reasoning after ACL Reconstruction. A Featured Session at ACSM for the Biomechanics Interest Group (BIG). San Diego, CA. May 2015. Published in Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise (MSSE). 2015 May;47(5 Suppl).
- Elias ARC, Mizner RL. High Volume Jump Training Coupled with Body Weight Support in a Patient with Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction. Combined Sections Meeting of the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA). Poster Presentation in the Orthopaedics Section. Indianapolis, IN. Feb 2015. JOSPT Jan 45(1).Supplement A76.
- Elias ARC, Mizner RL. Associating clinical and biomechanical measures of single leg performance after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Combined Sections Meeting of the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA). Poster Presentation in Research Section. Indianapolis, IN. Feb 2015. JOSPT Jan 45(1).Supplement.
- Ketterling LM, Mizner RL. Impact of Thigh Muscle Recruitment on Limb Loading during Jump Landing after Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction. Combined Sections Meeting of the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA). Platform Presentation in Sports Section. Indianapolis, IN. Feb 2015. JOSPT Jan 45(1).Supplement.
- Mizner RL, Chmielewski TL. Mechanical & Psychological Factors in ACL Reconstruction Rehabilitation. Session Proposal. Combined Sections Meeting of the American Physical Therapy Association. Indianapolis, IN. Feb 2015. Featured Session with the Research Section of the APTA.
- Stackhouse SK, Craik R, Rudolph K, Wagner J, Mizner RL, Lemley K, Cleland J. Setting yourself up for success at intuitions without an established research culture. Session Proposal for the Early Career Development Special Interest Group in the Research Section. Combined Sections Meeting of the American Physical Therapy Association. Indianapolis, IN. Feb 2015.
- Prior Employment at the University of Delaware and Eastern Washington University
- Staff and Per Diem Physical Therapist since 2006-current
- Most Recent work at Deer Lodge Medical Center & the UMPT Physical Therapy Clinic
- Faculty for UMPT Residency Programs (Sports & Orthopaedic)
Honors / Awards
2017 Best Poster Award, Gait and Clinical Movement Analysis Society Annual Conference
2017 Faculty Merit Award, University of Montana, Missoula
2016 Best Presentation, Cervical group, Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Physical Therapists (AAOMPT)
2013 Faculty Merit Award, University of Montana, Missoula
2009 Margaret L. Moore Outstanding New Academic Faculty Award, APTA
2009 Outstanding Faculty Merit Award for Scholarship, Eastern Washington University
2007 Quality Service Initiative - Excellence in Quality Service Award, Eastern Washington Univeristy
2005 Finalist for the New Investigator Recognition Award, Orthopaedic Research Society
I enjoy spending time with my family in our garden, hiking, playing golf, hunting, going to community events, skiing, watching movies, and catching up with friends at meetings.