Apply to MSW
Applying to the University of Montana's Master of Social Work program is a two-step process that involves:
- fulfilling the UM Graduate School application requirements; and
- fulfilling The School of Social Work MSW Program application requirements.
Carefully review the instructions outlined in areas one and two below before submitting your application materials.
Welcome to the University of Montana (UM) School of Social Work Masters of Social Work Application. Please carefully review the information below before submitting your application. Any application
that is incomplete will not be considered for admission. Applicants must be able to fulfill the requirements for both the UM Graduate School and the UM School of Social Work.
The University of Montana School of Social Work is participating in the Social Work Centralized Application Service (SocialWorkCAS) in the 2019 application cycle. Applicants applying to our master’s-level
program will apply online using the SocialWorkCAS application beginning on August 22, 2018. To learn more about SocialWorkCAS, please visit this webpage.
Applications are due February 15, 2019.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university. (Transcripts are submitted through this system. Do not send physical copies of transcripts directly to the school.)
- Minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 for all undergraduate work, based on a 4.00 scale.
- Three statements of recommendation which must meet the following specifications:
- Recommendations must be completed and submitted by persons outside the applicant's extended family who have direct knowledge of the applicant's character and abilities.
- One recommendation must be academic.
- For tracking purposes all recommendation letters should be submitted through the "Reference" section of the main Social Work CAS application.
- Evidence of a solid foundation in the liberal arts and the sciences, including course work in the social and behavioral sciences.
- Responses to the two essay questions listed in the Questions tab of this application.
- A current resume, which includes the following sections specifying the dates of your education as well as your employment and volunteer experiences. Indicate if the employment and volunteer experience were full-time or part-time endeavors; if part-time please include the number of average week hours invested.
- Paid Experience
- Volunteer experience and community involvement
- Applications will not be reviewed until all materials are received. Incomplete applications will not be considered for admission.
- If you are presenting an academic record that in your opinion does not reflect your potential, please include a personal statement telling the Admissions Committee why you think you can handle the demands of graduate education. There is a place to submit this statement in the Documents tab of this application.
- GRE: The School of Social Work does not require the Graduate Record Exam as part of the application process. However, for applicants with a GPA of less than 3.0, the School recommends submission of GRE scores as an additional source of data regarding readiness for graduate-level education. (If you choose to submit a GRE score, please do so in the Standardized Test section of the main Social Work CAS application.)
- If an applicant is recommended for acceptance, they will need to fill out The University of Montana Graduate School Application and pay the $60 application fee. Students recommended for acceptance will receive instructions for accessing this application.
- For questions specific to the University of Montana School of Social Work program and requirements, please contact Elisha Buchholz at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 406.243.5544.
For assistance with the SocialWorkCas Application please use the following information:
The SocialWorkCAS Applicant Help Center: https://help.liaisonedu.com/SocialWorkCAS_Applicant_Help_Center
The SocialWorkCAS Fee Waiver Program (for applicants meeting income- and service-based requirements): http://socialworkcas.liaisoncas.org/students/. Waivers are provided to qualified applicants on a first-come, first-served basis, and each waiver covers the initial application fee ($75). Applicant Technical Support Information. Having trouble accessing the application? The preferred browsers are Google Chrome or Firefox. If you have questions about your application, please contact your SocialWorkCAS Customer Service Representative at (857) 304-2016 or Socialworkcas@liaisoncas.com.
Transcript Processing Information and Address
Transcript verification may take up to 4 weeks -please plan accordingly Transcripts should be sent to the following address:
SocialWorkCAS Transcript Processing Center
P.O. Box 9212
Watertown, MA 02471