Outstanding Field Supervisors
The UM School of Social Work recognizes the importance of the field supervisor’s role in preparing social workers. These Agency Field Instructors provide the hands-on support, mentorship, and teaching necessary for student's professional growth and readiness to practice as a social worker.
Each year the school recognizes both a BSW and MSW Outstanding Agency Field Instructor. Students nominate indviduals based on the following criteria:
- Provides exceptional mentorship of practicum students
- Models professional social work behavior in practice and in supervision
- Devoted to teaching and demonstrates ongoing professional development
- Dedicated to and proud of being a social worker
- Demonstrates critical, independent thinking and encourages students to develop these skills
A faculty committee then selects one of the BSW and MSW-nominated supervisors to honor each year.