HCOP Pharmacy Academic Boot Camp
HCOP sponsored programs in the Skaggs School of School of Pharmacy runs during the summer before participants matriculate into a professional pharmacy program. This programs ensures even greater preparedness for success in professional school. This pre-matriculation program is four (4) weeks and is taught by professional school faculty.
Goals for this non-degree pre-matriculation program include:
- Exposure to relevant professional pharmacy program coursework
- Building content knowledge
- Introducing students to professional program culture
- Acclimating participants to the support systems available to health professional students
Health Careers Opportunity Program Pharmacy Academic Boot Camp is for students from a Disadvantaged Background.
- Introductory and Overview Course Offerings: American Indian Health Issues, Antimicrobial Agents, Calculations, Cell & Molecular Biology, Medical Microbiology, Pharmaceutical Biochemistry, Pharmacy Practice, Pharmaceutics, Pharmacology
- Opportunity to work closely with the College of Health Professions and Biomedical Sciences faculty at the University of Montana
- Provide resources and speakers addressing minority health issues and health equity
- ABC will provide skills to help enhance student success including research skills, job shadowing, and leadership development
- Daily stipend ($90/day), travel assistance, and supplies provided
Program Dates: June 3-28, 2019
Location: Skaggs School of Pharmacy, 32 Campus Drive, Missoula, MT 59812
Application is now CLOSED.
Draft Schedule- click HERE to view
- Accepted or waitlisted to a professional pharmacy program
- Open to ALL Institutions!
- Come from an economically or educationally disadvantaged background
- Definitions and examples below
Accepted first year pharmacy students attending the University of Montana Skaggs School of Pharmacy will be eligible for the Health Careers Opportunity Program (HCOP) Scholarship, total for Academic Year $10,000.
Five (5) HCOP Scholarships available for UM students.
- Accepted into Pharmacy Academic Boot Camp
- Complete Pharmacy Academic Boot Camp
- Accepted into the University of Montana Skaggs School of Pharmacy
- If more than five (5) University of Montana Pharmacy students attend Pharmacy Academic Boot Camp, it will be a competitive scholarship with basis of awarding to be determined by Director and Co-Director of HCOP.
an individual comes from an environment that has inhibited the individual from obtaining the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to enroll in and graduate from a health profession school or from a program providing education or training in an allied health profession.
an individual comes from a family with an annual income below a level based on low-income thresholds according to family size established by the U.S. Census Bureau, adjusted by the Secretary of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services for use in all health professions programs.
Click HERE for 2019 HRSA poverty guidelines.
Educationally/Environmentally Disadvantaged Examples:
•The individual comes from a family that receives public assistance (e.g., Temporary Assistance to Needy Families, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance program, Medicaid, and/or public housing).
•The individual is the first generation in his or her family to attend college.
•The individual graduated from (or last attended) a high school with low SAT scores, based on most recent annual data available.
•The individual graduated from (or last attended) a high school that—based on the most recent annual data available— had either a:
•The individual graduated from (or last attended) a high school with low per capita funding.
•The individual graduated from (or last attended) a high school where—based on the most recent annual data available— many of the enrolled students are eligible for free or reduced-price lunches.