To be considered for admission, an applicant must have obtained a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 (on a four-point scale) in all college courses for which the applicant has registered, as well as a minimum GPA of 3.00 in the required prerequisite courses. All prerequisite courses must be passed with a 3.00 or better. A C- grade or lower is not acceptable.
In addition, the following items must be received/completed by the School of Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation Science by October 15, 2020:
- PTCAS application which can be found here.
- Supplemental questions can be found in the PTCAS application.
- $80.00 non-refundable supplemental fee.
- the link to the on-line payment can be found in the UM school specific questions in the PTCAS application or here
- Print and sign the essential functions page. This form can be found in the PTCAS application. You will need to upload the document into appropriate section of the PTCAS application.
- Official Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores.
- You must complete the GRE prior to November 16, 2020 to allow for timely arrival of your GRE scores to the School. These scores must be sent directly by Educational Testing Service (ETS) to our school. When making your request to ETS be sure to use the Institution code 4489 and name Univ. Montana.
- 7 out of 9 of the prerequisite courses need to be complete at the end of fall semester of application, including at least one course from both the chemistry and physics class sequences.
- Observation hours
- A minimum of 80 hours of volunteer or paid experience in at least THREE different practice environments, under the direction of a licensed physical therapist, are required before the application deadline. In an effort to obtain a breadth of experience across practice settings a minimum of 16 hours must be spent in each environment. Additionally, at least one of the practice environments must be an inpatient experience (hospital, nursing home, rehabilitation center) and at least one needs to be an outpatient experience. Observation hours must be verified to be accepted.
- 3 letters of recommendation
- At least one from a licensed Physical Therapist
- Professor, employer
International Applicants must complete the admissions requirements listed above along with submitting TOEFL scores and a certified bank statement.
- Applicants whose native language is not English, must submit TOEFL scores of at least 525 (paper-based test) or 195 (computer-based test). If you are a graduate of an English-speaking university, TOEFL scores are not required, but you must submit GRE scores.
- Before issuing a visa form, the Physical Therapy Program must receive a certified statement from a bank or sponsoring agency indicating that funds totaling at least $32,286 USD are available to meet the first-year cost of study. You may be asked to put this sum on deposit with The University of Montana.
- If you plan to bring your family to the United States, add $3,000 to your financial statement for your spouse, and $1,500 for each child. All estimates of cost are subject to change by the Montana Board of Regents without prior notice. Please contact the School of Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation Science for current information.
- Mail the above materials to the following:
- DPT Student Selection Committee
School of Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation Science
The University of Montana
Skaggs Building, Room 135
Missoula, Montana 59812-4680
- DPT Student Selection Committee
Upon the completion of your application, our main mode of communication will be by email. Please check your inbox daily.