Post-Baccalaureate Leveling Certificate

Program Overview

Are you interested in speech-language pathology or audiology? Do you need to complete courses to make you eligible for a graduate program? 

Our campus-based Post-Baccalaureate Leveling Program in Communicative Sciences and Disorders is designed for individuals returning to school with a completed bachelor's degree in a field other than speech-language pathology or audiology. This program is in the School of Speech Language Hearing and Occupational Sciences and is for those students who wish to attend courses on University of Montana's Missoula campus. The purpose is to provide students with foundational knowledge in the areas of speech, language, and hearing development in order to be eligible to apply to graduate programs in speech-language pathology and/or audiology.  This on-campus program can be completed over a Fall and Spring semester. Upon completion, students will earn a Post-Baccalaureate Leveling Certificate in Communicative Sciences and Disorders.

Application To Leveling Program

To apply to the SLHOS Post-Baccalaureate Leveling Program, complete the online application. In addition to completing the online application, students will be prompted to upload

  • One-page essay (12.font, double-spaced) describing why you are interested in participating in this leveling program
  • Transcript indicating that you have earned a Bachelor's Degree (unofficial transcripts and photocopies are fine)
Application Submission

Campus-Based Option

For those individuals who choose to attend classes on campus, these courses are offered in a face-to-face classroom setting. Course dates follow the regular Fall and Spring semester schedules. Campus-based students must additionally be formally admitted to the University of Montana as a post-baccalaureate student. Please note: post-baccalaureate students may take courses that are listed as graduate or undergraduate, as defined by the University of Montana course catalog, but will earn only undergraduate credit for these courses. For detailed admission information and a link to the UM post-baccalaureate application, please visit UM Post-baccalaureate Admission.

Campus-Based Semester Schedule

Although not formally part of the leveling program, students who are considering completing additional courses for the Speech-Language Pathology/Audiology Assistant Certificate should also complete CSD 110  (offered in the the Fall semester). Contact Meghann Schroeder at or (406) 243-6105 for more detailed information and advising support regarding additional SLP/A-A certificate requirements.



Course Number

Course Title




CSD 210

Speech & Language Development



CSD 222

Introduction to Audiology



CSD 320

Phonological Development & Phonetics

CSD 210



BIOH 330

Anatomy & Physiology of the Speech & Hearing Mechanisms



CSD 460

Language Assessment and Intervention for Children Birth to Preschool

CSD 210, CSD 320



CSD 365

Acquired Speech & Language Disorders

CSD 210, CSD 320



CSD 405

The Clinical Process

CSD 210, CSD 222, CSD 320, CSD 365, CSD 460



CSD 331

Neuroanatomy & Physiology for Communication

CSD 210, CSD 222, CSD 320, BIOH 330



CSD 420

Speech Science

CSD 320, BIOH 330



CSD 450

Introduction to Aural Rehabilitation

CSD 210, CSD 222


Campus-Based Registration

Campus-based students will use Cyberbear to register and pay for these courses. Posted term registration, add/drop, and refund rules apply. For important registration, payment, and drop/add dates and deadlines, please see the Office of the Registrar Calendar of Events. Additional pertinent information can be found on the Office of Registrar homepage under sections: Students; Registration; Important Dates; General Information; and Forms.

Campus-Based Fees

Standard UM resident or non-resident tuition and fees apply.  Links to current fall/spring and current summer terms are available via clicking on the Tuition and Fees button on the Business Services website. Once there, please view the "Post Baccalaureate" section for the cost per credit(s).

ASHA Standard IV-A and Multicultural Course Requirements

In addition to the University of Montana’s academic coursework, ASHA requires that upon graduation from the Master's program the student must have demonstrated knowledge of the biological sciences, physical sciences, statistics, and the social/behavioral sciences.  Additionally, our program requires a multicultural course.  

Prerequisite Course Content Areas Related to SLP Certification Standards

These courses may be taken at the undergraduate or graduate level and must have received a passing grade.

The following courses, or approved equivalent courses, must be documented on your transcripts.

See below for suggested courses by category

  • Physical Science: Physics or chemistry.
  • Biological Science:  Science of living things (human or animal):  biology, general anatomy & physiology, neuroanatomy & neurophysiology, human genetics, or veterinary science (must be non-CSD courses)
  • Social/Behavioral Science: Psychology, sociology, anthropology, or public health.
  • Statistics: Prerequisite for CSD Research Methods.  One stand-alone course is required.  UM’s graduate Research Methods CSD course does not count for stats. Psychology, Math, or Social stats; stats also meets the previous math course category.
  • Multicultural: U of M’s CSD UG 480 or approved course; must be a cross-cultural course rather than emphasis on one single culture

*Advanced placement, CLEP, or exam of equivalency may be used, but transcripts must be provided.

*Other courses may be acceptable based on departmental approval. Any of these courses may be completed in an on-campus or online format through the University of Montana, as well (see the Course Catalog for specific courses). Please be aware that because these supplemental courses are not part of our leveling program, the regular university tuition schedule applies and students will need to enroll in the university as post-baccalaureate students to register for these courses. Please visit the Admissions page to learn more about post-baccalaureate admission. Please visit the Business page to learn more about the post-baccalaureate tuition fee schedule.

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions about the SLHOS Post-Baccalaureate Leveling Program

  1. What is the deadline to apply?
    • We accept applications to the online leveling program throughout the year. We recommend that you apply a minimum of one month prior to the start date of the course in which you intend to enroll.
    • If you are interested in the campus-based leveling program, you will need to apply to the University of Montana as a post-baccalaureate student. These applications are also accepted on a rolling basis, but please visit the Admissions page for specific information.
  2. Am I required to begin in the fall?
    • Most students start in the fall so that they can take the lower level courses that are prerequisite for other courses offered in the spring and summer.
    • Students who have completed or are concurrently enrolled in prerequisite courses can enroll in courses at any point in the year.
  3. Am I eligible for federal financial aid if I am enrolled in this leveling program?
    • Unfortunately, no. Federal financial aid is only available for degree-granting programs. Many students in the leveling program opt to secure a private alternative loan. This type of loan is a non-federal educational loan through a private lending institution.
  4. Am I eligible for tuition waiver if I am an employee of the University of Montana?
    • If you are taking courses in the campus-based leveling program, you might be eligible for a tuition waiver. Contact Human Resource Services to see if you are eligible.
    • The tuition for courses taken through the online leveling program cannot be waived.
  5. Do I have to take all courses?
    • No. Although most students enrolled in the leveling program elect to complete the full course sequence, some students may only need to take a few courses. Students are welcome to take as many or as few courses as they choose.
  6. Do I need to log-in at certain times to join a virtual classroom if I am taking online courses?
    • No. Although, there are set dates when assignments and quizzes must be completed, the online leveling program was designed for individuals who are interested in completing the coursework, but need to work at their own pace around work and family schedules. The exact format of each course may vary; please contact the course instructor about questions regarding exams, proctoring, assignments, etc.
  7. I have taken some CSD classes from another institution already. Do I need to retake these?
    • It depends. If you think that you have taken a course that is equivalent, send a copy of that course syllabus and the year it was taken. The CSD faculty will review the syllabus for you and determine if the same content is sufficiently covered.
  8. I have taken similar courses at a different university- can these courses count toward this leveling program, or do I need to retake them at UM?
    • It depends. If you think that you have covered the content in one of our leveling courses in another course (or in a combination of courses) you have completed (and earned a grade ≥C), request a course equivalency form from Dr. Collins. Complete the form and return it along with the course syllabus/syllabi. The leveling program instructors will review your course syllabi and determine whether the course(s) was/were indeed equivalent.
  9. If I take leveling courses at the University of Montana, will these courses be accepted at other graduate programs?
    • The content for most prerequisite courses is relatively standardized across CSD programs. Our courses are meant to meet the needs of many students, not just those enrolling in the CSD graduate program at the University of Montana. Of course, the ultimate decision to accept a course lies with your chosen institution. If you have concerns, we recommend that you verify with your intended graduate institution(s).
  10. How much time should I devote to each class?
    • For every one credit hour in which you enroll in the campus-based program, you will spend approximately two to three hours outside of class studying (i.e., one 3-credit course = 6-9 hours per week of studying over 15 weeks, for a total of 90-135 hours per regular university semester).
    • The same amount of content is covered in each of the courses in the online leveling program, but the duration of each course is shorter. Keep in mind that you will still need to study for approximately 90-135 hours during the duration of the course (e.g., for an eight-week course, plan to study 11-17 hours per week).

CSD Leveling Certificate Program Contact Information

Meghann Schroeder || Undergraduate Academic Advisor || 

Curry Health Center 032   ||   Missoula, Montana   || 

t: (406) 243-6105   ||   e:   || 

My pronouns are she/her/hers ||