Services Learning Placements
Enrollment Procedures and Information
- Identify a position that you are interested in.
- Contact an HFD Committee faculty member who you would like to have serve as an academic supervisor.
- Contact the agency that offers the position and determine whether you may volunteer there.
- Go to Internship Services (Lommasson Center 154), get a Learning Agreement form, complete it and get the signatures of your academic supervisor and your agency supervisor, and return the form to the Internship Services. You will also need to have your academic supervisor sign a course over-ride slip (obtained at the Registrar’s office, and returned there) in order to officially register.
Details of supervision are to be worked out between the faculty supervisor and the student, although it is assumed that there will be an on-site supervisor and that the student will meet periodically with the faculty supervisor to report progress and to discuss relevant issues. Students will be responsible for:
- Participating in a 1-hour weekly seminar in which your service learning goals are developed, you participate in discussions and classroom exercises with other service learning students, and you attend workshops and talks relevant to your service learning activity.
- Keeping a weekly log of their hours (signed by the site supervisor).
- Writing a weekly reflection journal of relevant learnings during the service learning placement.
- Writing a comprehensive 10-page literature review on a topic that will be determined with the faculty advisor assigned to the service learning placement, using APA Style.